Polished Cross Sections
Many manufactured materials, as simple as laminated wood surfaces or as intricate as an integrated circuit package, will require custom preparation in order to analyze a sample. Cross sectioning allows for the preparation of a sample in order to expose specific features for analysis. MicroVision Labs can prepare a wide variety of materials with precision cross sectioning and polishing services in order to allow these features to be presented. Materials can be mounted and embedded in a variety of epoxies and polymer compounds in order to stabilize and enforce materials. Materials can then be sectioned with a diamond saw or microtome, and polished in order to smooth any cutting artifacts. Precise depths of sectioning can be maintained, in order to highlight specific areas of interest.
- Specific areas in electronic package devices can be sectioned and examined
- Thicknesses and homogeneity of layers can be illustrated quickly
- Alloys and interior grain structure in metallic samples can be documented with etches and preferential dyes
- Multi-layer printing and coating samples can be examined to check for bonding and lamination continuity
- Polymers can be sectioned and polished in order to determine interior consistency in formation
- Packaged devices are sectioned at key points to document mechanical or wire bonds and perform detailed failure analysis